Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Effective Communication Reflection


 This is the reflection about using the effective communication methods we learned about.

 The situation was: me and my younger brother was having a large argument together about what happened while we were helping our mom to buy some food. My brother, who's quite young, usually can't wait long too much and he always move around and sometimes we lose him in our sight. The worst is, he cries and screams, loud enough to everyone can hear, for us. When we finally find him, all the people near there stare at us as if we were something stupid, which embarrasses me a lot.

 That happened again. I was helping my mom with buying food as usual, with my brother following us. That was when I noticed that he was gone, as my mom asked where he was. We were so surprised about it because there were especially a lot of people today, it seemed like almost impossible to find him. But I just found him, who was just tasting noodle, not even aware that we were worrying about him. I was so angry at that moment because we were worrying about him madly, and he was just standing there, eating noodle, not even looking sorry.

 The strategy that I used for the effective communication with my younger brother, was avoiding hot topics. I just wanted to like, shout at him saying it's all his fault that we were looking for him. But if I've done that, we both would be so angry at each other, the argument would have been burned up. So I just stepped back first, with persuading him that we worried if you were lost or something. He seemed understood. Then I just slowly talked about different topic. It actually worked. Both of us just forgot what our conflict was, and we finished our argument.

 I would try being careful with my manner toward my younger brother. I usually be quite rude to my brother because he's much younger than me, and I don't know why, but I just want to do a prank to him. I don't treat him how I treat my friends. So I'm going to try my best to be nice to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment