Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Poverty Unit


 In this unit, I realised that how the poverty was the world's most serious problem and why poverty can lead the people in great harm. I never learned pretty much about the poverty before I entered this unit, but after I entered this unit in social studies, I was pretty shocked and surprised of the facts about being in the poverty. Mostly I learned about was the poverty cycle, consequences the poverty causes, and why. With lots of activities in this unit, I was able to understand more about how poverty works. The ITN was most helpful, since I did so many researches to make the presentation, but also the other activities were helpful.

 One of the activities that I really enjoyed was making flash cards about the poverty in specific country. I had to make cards about poverty in Cambodia, since our group was interested in poverty in Cambodia. In this activity, I researched about what makes the poverty cycle in Cambodia, and how it affects people in that country. That led me to learn a lot about how the poverty cycle is made and how it works, and why people can't easily get out of it. This was relevant to me, one of the reasons being in the poverty cycle was about effects of the war, and my grandmother lost his father in the war, and had to earn money by herself. She wasn't in absolute poverty, but in relative poverty. Until she went to the college, she had to help her mother to afford their money and resources. I still have a question, is it the only way to escape the poverty cycle with getting good education? Are there any more ways to escape the poverty?

 Another of the activities is using the Places We Live website, and listening to their stories. I think listening to their stories about being in the absolute poverty was very interesting, because we can't think of the life in poverty, if we were in poverty, we wouldn't be living in one of the most richest countries, Singapore now. With knowing their stories about being in the absolute poverty, it makes us to understand more about how the poverty can affect us. I think it's not really relevant to me, because i've never been in absolute poverty. I also think I'm now really inspired to donate more things for the people in poverty as much as I can do for them.

 It's difficult to break down from the poverty cycle, because if you once get into the one of the reasons falling in the poverty, you just can't have a chance to escape from it since the poverty cycle continues and continues. It can't be broken unless you get really good education and stuff or you get micro financing or loan or helps from the NGOs, then if ever successful to afford enough to support their families.




No comments:

Post a Comment